Monday 27 April 2015

Pot luck off-set coin quilt

It must be pretty obvious by now that I love, love, strip quilts.  I love the simplicity of them and how they really show off the fabrics.  My latest strip quilt is a variation of a design called chinese coins, or stacked coins.  


You can see where the pattern gets its name as the coloured fabric columns look like piles of money.  Often the fabric coins are stacked exactly on top of one another.  In this case, as the coins are off-set, they look as though they have been piled higgledy pigglegy.



A single jelly roll, from the Pot Luck collection by American Jane for Moda, was used to make the quilt coins.  I love the retro look of these designs and colours.  To me they seem very reminiscent of the 1950s.


For the back I used a fantastic giant text print called Nummer, from Ikea of all places.  Many quilters use it and this was the perfect project for me to try it for myself.  I think it is the perfect partner for the quilt top; the large writing works so well with the little numbers on the tape measures. 


The quilt was professionally long arm quilted with a design called feathers.  I chose it because of the tiny chicken fabric.  After washing, the quilt did shrink a bit but I don't care.  It is still a great size (about 60 inches square) and I love the textured look and feel that the quilting creates. 


4 comments:

  1. I love all your quilts Jen. I was so disappointed that your workshop at Fabric HQ sold out so quickly, I hope you'll be doing another one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much, Sam. The Stacked Book Quilt workshop has been surprisingly popular. I am sure that another workshop can be arranged soon. I'll let you know the dates as soon as they are available.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It really is all about the fabric, isn't it? Love this one, and the backing is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome Marie. Thanks so much for your kind comments. It is true. It is all about the fabric. There are so many beautiful colours and designs available it is often hard to choose.

      Delete